Situated right in the middle of a masterplan
previously known as St. Joseph’s Novitiate , is one of the priceless heritage site in Penang.
St Joseph's Novitiate is a historic building on grounds bordered to the north by Gurney Drive and south by Kelawai Road.
St. Joseph's novitiate
After a restoration project, the St Joseph's Novitiate building was converted into a food, beverage, event and entertainment destination known as St Jo's
St. Jo’s, previously known as St. Joseph’s Novitiate, is one of the priceless heritage sites in Penang. Its 2 storey chapel which was built in 1916, and a new 3-storey block was later added on to the back of the chapel before the premises became a novitiate for the Christian Brothers (1918-1988) as well as a teachers’ training college.
SA chapel occupies the upper floor. It has lovely stained-glass windows, and the statue of Mary trampling a serpent. On the outer wall facing Gurney Drive is the inscription in Latin, ANNO SANCTO MCMXXV, meaning Holy Year 1925, the year it was completed.
ANNO SANCTO MCMXXV, meaning Holy Year 1925, the year St. Jo's was completed
De La Salle Brothers acquired the site at Pulau Tikus area for a novitiate - quarters for novices - and a training college
Added a two-storey structure building, The St Joseph's Novitiate
De La Salle Brothers vacated the premises and was taken over by the International School of Penang (Uplands)
After restoration, rebranded as St Jo's